* My 18 month old is suffering some serious sleep regression. He screams when we try to put him to bed, no matter the time of day or how exhausted he truly is. Is this separation anxiety? Stubbornness? Is he working something out?
* I will take any and all advice on the previous point that you (both of you who still read me) would like to offer. We did CIO when he was younger, to great (okay, somewhat) success. But now he scream “Mama! Mama! Mama!” like his little heart is breaking.
* I am jealous of everyone pursuing their second adoption. Sorry, friends, but it is true. We just aren’t there yet, but I am jealous. I am supportive!!! But jealous.
* I just finished our 18 month update for Nathanael’s birthmother. It’s four pages long and has 87 photos. Is it enough? Too much? Not the right information that she wants? Sigh… the perils of closed adoption.
* We have been talking to N about adoption since the day we brought him home. Our education classes suggested we start then, because by the time he is really starting to understand, we will be a little more comfortable. However, this week, as I was rocking him to sleep, I realized I have to explain why he was adopted and his four half-siblings were not. How much do I share with him (not at this age… I get that he doesn’t understand the finer points yet)? Do I tell him what their life is like (even though they got to “stay” with his birthmother)? Sigh… the perils of adoption, period.
* Part of me fancies myself a great homemaker, stay-at-home wife and mother.
* Then I look around and realize I’m not great at it at all. The house is usually littered with toys. The dog is shedding enough to make herself a companion. The laundry is in the basket (folded! but not put away). The upended diaper bag is in the middle of the kitchen.
* But I have been making Keith’s lunch at least four times a week for about a month now.
* I make dinner (or my step-mom does!) at least six nights a week (which means we aren’t eating out).
* I have been baking (except it’s 120* in Indy today) instead of buying pre-packaged cookies, brownies, etc.
* Does all that count? I don’t greet my hubby at the door with a cocktail and a smile. Hmmm…. usually it’s with a sigh of relief and a plea to watch the kid so I can pee in peace. I guess I need to work on that.
* Okay, so the heat index in Indy is 120 today. But that’s what it feels like outside, so that’s what I think the temp should be.
* I am loving some Catholic blogs lately. And I’m not Catholic. But I realize how much I have in common with these women… and I’m afraid they won’t like me because I’m Protestant (and there seems to be a fair amount of protestant-hate flying around the internets). But I’ve slowly started to leave comments here and there. So if you’re over from one of those blogs, welcome!!
* I think if you pursue adoption and then get pregnant and decide not to adopt, you probably should have never considered it in the first place, because obviously it was about you finding a child and not finding a family for a child that needs one.
* What is it with the snarkiness and vitriol on blogs and Twitter? If you don’t like what someone has to say, why are you reading their blog? Don’t you have something better to do with your time? Your life?
* Totally random, I know. But at least it’s a post!!!